Side Effects of Modafinil
Nervousness, back pain, nausea, and headaches are some of the most commonly reported side effects of modafinil. Other possible side effects include constipation, dry mouth, and shakiness. While modafinil side effects are minor and do not require medical attention in most cases, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately if you develop unusual muscle spasms, hallucinations, or high blood pressure.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with modafinil (Provigil®); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with modafinil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of modafinil side effects with you.)
Some side effects with modafinil, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Anxiety, depression, confusion, hallucinations, or any other emotional or psychological changes
- Chest pain, high blood pressure (hypertension), or a rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Unusual muscle spasms or muscle movements
- Blood in the urine
- Feeling like you need to increase your dose or take it more frequently (as this may be a sign of abuse or dependence)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as a rash, hives, itching, swelling of the mouth or throat, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.