For most people, the recommended modafinil dosage is 200 mg once daily. This dose should be taken in the morning for people with narcolepsy or sleep apnea, and one hour before the start of a work shift for people with shift work sleep disorder. Modafinil dosing may be lower for some people (usually 100 mg daily), such as the elderly and people with liver disease.
The dose of modafinil (Provigil®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Modafinil DosingThe usual recommended dose of modafinil (for any approved use) is 200 mg once daily. For narcolepsy or sleep apnea, this dose should be taken in the morning. For people with shift work sleep disorder, the dose should be taken about one hour before the start of the work shift.
A lower dose of modafinil (usually 100 mg a day) may be recommended for elderly people, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver disease), or people who take certain medications (see Drug Interactions With Modafinil).
Considerations for people taking modafinil include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take modafinil with or without food. If the drug seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Modafinil will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to modafinil dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.