Side Effects of Armodafinil
High blood pressure, anxiety, and heart palpitations are some of the potentially serious side effects of armodafinil. However, side effects of the medication are usually minor and either do not require medical attention or can be treated easily. Some of the more common armodafinil side effects that have been reported include dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, and insomnia.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with armodafinil (Nuvigil™); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with armodafinil. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of armodafinil side effects with you.)
Some side effects with armodafinil, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Chest pain, high blood pressure (hypertension), or a rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Anxiety, depression, confusion, hallucinations, or any other emotional or psychological changes
- Feeling like you need to increase your dose or take it more frequently (as this may be a sign of abuse or dependence)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as a rash, hives, itching, swelling of the mouth or throat, wheezing, or difficulty breathing.