General considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- The medicine comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take it with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of armodafinil that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The particular sleep disorder you have
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Armodafinil Dosing for more information.)
Armodafinil can interact with several other medications (see Drug Interactions With Armodafinil).
Based on what is known about overdose symptoms with Provigil (a similar medication), people who take too much armodafinil may develop overdose symptoms such as:
- Feelings of a forcefully or rapidly beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- Nausea or diarrhea
- Anxiety, nervousness, irritability, or aggressiveness
- Tremor (shakiness)
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Confusion or hallucinations
- Loss of life.
If you happen to overdose on this product, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click Nuvigil Overdose for more information.)